Wednesday, April 29, 2009

As my parents remind me regularly, it's been too long since I've written. I guess I've been too caught up in the baseball debate taking place on John's blog to pay attention to my own (GO RED SOX). Not too much is new here really, just trying to get through the rest of the school year. It got cut by about 3 weeks because of the elections on June 6th, so after this week I only have 3 weeks of classes. The downside of this is that I lose this time with my students, and it makes it tough to get everything done that I'd hoped to. And by tough, I mean impossible. But they've definitely made progress--they now mostly greet me in English on the street and have started arguing with each other in English in the classroom (I have to let them off the hook when they yell "that is my pen!" at the kid who took their pen).

John is visiting Selibaby this week, which has been great. He's used his time here to catch up on internet stuff, raid our book collection and chase children away from our wall. Oh, and along with Kim we spent about an hour yesterday pouring water down ant/termite hills. This is what we do for fun here. I'm not joking. Sometimes we draw on the dog too. The power has been out for a couple days now, so that cuts down on your options! Being bored takes on a whole new meaning here.

I also recently started a prep class for the 6th year students who will take the BAC in June. Basically, it's the end of high school exam that determines if you even get the option of going to college. Nationwide, about 10% of students pass. That number is usually lower here in the south and in other rural areas. So every Friday, I run an optional class to get students ready for the English section of the BAC. They never learn how to take this kind of test (during the first class, I gave them a practice test and most didn't understand the format of multiple choice questions...the real test is in 2 months), so I'm trying to work with them on how to go about answering reading comprehension, make educated guesses, budget their time, etc. Most students didn't even attempt the essay question on the practice test, and almost all of them said "teacher, it is very hard!" as if I had written it to torture them. It was a word for word copy of the BAC from 2004. I only have time to do 6 or 7 classes, but hopefully it will help a little and I can start the same class earlier next year. It's been fun working with older students too, and quite a change from teacher first years!

OK, that's all the news from here. But for being such good sports you get a new photo link! Enjoy!

new picts

4 comments:

Judy said...

Thanks, Em. Clearly, the test prep course was a great idea and is badly needed. While it might not have a huge impact this year, it sounds like something that has the potential to be of benefit even beyond your time there, especially if the PC is sending another English teacher to your school who might carry on after next year. And I love the pictures (of course). The meditation on ants eating a jellybean is quite special,,,though not the one I chose for my new desktop photo :-). Talk to you soon.
Much love,
Didi
ps Red Sox, 13 and 7; Cubs, 10 and 9; White Sox, 10 and 10; Yankees, 10 and 10

Anonymous said...

Hi, sweetie!
What fabulous pics of your siblings! But can't quite compete with the ones of the sumo wrestler - Uncle Tini will be so proud! Looks like it's more green that I remember seeing before - Oh, and they must use cloth diapers - yes??

xoxo
mom

Allison said...

Thank you for updating and sharing pictures! If, like you said, John has been using the internet, perhaps you could use some gentle persuation to get him to blog too.

Sorry it is so boring there that you have resorted to drawing on the dog and photographing ants. Ask John to write some mad libs. We used to do that on long car rides when he was (much) younger.

Glad you are enjoying the baseball debate. I used to go to White Sox games when I was in high school (they had night games, unlike the Cubs), so I have rooted for them for a long time. I work with a woman whose brother was a pitcher for the Twins, would that be a better team to support? I don't think so!

Give John a hug for all of us here in soggy Iowa.

Take care!
Allison

Allison said...

Emily,
I am here in the "greater Chicagoland area" and can get you all sorts of baseball stuff! So, I have some good Sox stuff headed your way! :P

I'm glad you and John had a good week together. And, it sounds like you are really making a difference to many, many young people. Way cool!

Take care!
Allison