Friday, July 11, 2008

Don't worry, I'm fine!

Well after checking my email and seeing 2 worried emails from my mom, I thought I'd write a quick note saying I'm fine and everything is still going well! French is coming along, although my family seems to have decided to only speak to me in Hassaniya...so that makes things interesting! Still really liking it, although there are moments when you stop and think what am I doing here when I could be eating good food on a nice tropical beach?? But then you drink a fanta (fanta is a big part of our lives here), play with some toddlers (they're now getting the 2 year old at my house to run over and kiss me, and she loves that her hair is braided like mine), and just look around. It is really amzing to be here. My family loves to dress me up in mulafas and braid my hair (which PS hurts like no other!), I'm kind of their child/doll. I've started going running (well, kind of...we jog) with another PCT and when I come out in pants they always ask if i'm going to Faire du sport, and when I say yes they get really happy about it and also confused about why I run up the street and down it again. That's how people seem to feel about us in general--happy, excited and confused.

Sorry this is so jumbled--I'm about to get cut off and my family wants me home anyway. All my love!!!! And keep the comments and emails coming! Feel free to ask questions if you want me to post about something specific!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey, Em, I am anxiously awaiting photos, of you, your family, the goats, the flies, the flies on you, the goats and your family......much love

Dan said...

How is the teaching going? Is it weird thinking of yourself as a teacher?

Heidi said...

Hey Emily - just came back from mexico - spent a lot of time being hot and sandy and thinking what it must be like for you- though humidity is its own entity.
I try to imagine your life and think maybe I twist around the edges a little - but can't grasp the essence. Hear Judy talked to you for a while tonight. We all grasp at every word. Interesting how your experience add, with whatever films and filters, to the lives of so many others.
Gotta go take my cipro (overindulgence in Mexico!)Much love, h.