Thursday, June 19, 2008

Staging

Hi all (or maybe just my moms who may be the only ones reading!)

This will have to be a quick post, but I just wanted to write a little bit about staging. I got to Atlanta on Tuesday evening, and have just spent 2 days with an amazing group of people. Many of us met in the airport and took a shuttle to the hotel. It was really funny to see how a lot of us found each other--basically you would see someone with a huge backpack, make awkward eye contact, look away, look back...finally one of you would say "Peace Corps?" or "Mauritania?" to the other, and then start the introductions for the millionth time. It was pretty amusing.

But really, I feel so lucky to be with this group. Although the past few days have been really, really long, we're all having a blast for the most part. Some training sessions can be long, but the other Mauritania trainees are better than I could have hoped. And not just because some of you might read this (hopefully it will be Donny Strong!).

Tomorrow we head to the airport at 10, and then wait for our 3:45 flight. It's hard to believe that tonight is our last night in the US (and in a real bed!!). My roommate and I have been taking full advantage of our big comfy beds, the hot shower and FOOD most of all.

I hope all is well with everyone at home. Don't know when I'll be able to get on the internet again--we fly into Dakar and then take a 5-6 hour bus ride to Rosso, where we start training and live in dorms for 5 days before meeting our host families. Hopefully after 5 days I'll have enough of the language to at least communicate a little!

That's all for now! Lots of love!!!

5 comments:

Rowan B said...

Emily! You're going to be so close (20 minutes) from me! Let me know if you make it back to Senegal this summer, though I'm guessing you're going to be crazy busy with orientation. I also have a cell phone here. Good luck up north!

Judy said...

Hey, Em. Thanks for humoring your mothers. In spite of our occasional whines, you know how thrilled we are. This sounds phenomenal, and I am so excited for you. Have a fabulous, eye opening, life changing adventure (and don't forget to call home :-) )
I love you.
Didi

Denise said...

Good to hear your first contact was so good, I look forward to keeping up with your adventure. Glad to hear you focussed on the food!
Denise

Katie said...

awkward eye contact..."Mauritania?"...hahaha, I LOVE IT. That must have been truly amazing. Can't wait to read on soon!

Jab & Pox said...

em
your mom reports you put the government's money to good use. so very proud.
love you love you
jesse